HOME - - - CRAFT BLOG - - - ABOUT - - - CHART - - - RESOURCES - - - CONTACT - - -
PROGRESS - my crochet project log

Olive Cable-Knit Hat

illustration
PROJECT SUMMARY
COMPLETEDTYPEFIBERCOST?TIME?WEAR IT IN PUBLIC?
Jan 2006knitacylic< $5quickyes

Continuing with my plan to stave off buying new yarn and instead make small things out of the odds and ends that have piled up (I know, I know, you're supposed to start with the small projects and *then* move on to sweaters and such, not the other way around. Apparently I didn't get the memo) I took the ball of dark green acrylic left over from my version of Tempting and decided it might just be enough to make a hat. I had made the Irish Hiking Scarf for my husband for Christmas, and during that process, stumbled across mention of a coordinating hat made by slightly modifying a pattern in Stitch 'n Bitch Nation. I don't happen to own that book yet, and it seemed a mite ridiculous to run out and purchase it for this purpose alone when after doing the scarf and taking a quick glance at the pictures of finished hats, I was pretty sure I would have no trouble winging it. So, that's what I did.

Now ideally, I would have come up with a number of stitches to cast on based on the repeat of the cable pattern (ie, multiple of 12) but I was more interested in having it fit than having a perfect repeat, and 72 sounded too small, whereas 84 sounded a bit big, so I decided to go with 80. In retrospect, I think 72 would have fit me just fine, as the 80-stitch version fits my husband with his significantly larger head. Anyway, the result is that there's a missing cable in the back, which has been replaced by a single knit rib. Witness as I shrug. Fortunately, I am not a perfectionist. Pretty good is good enough for me. And I'm pretty pleased with how this came out.

So I did 3 inches of 2x2 ribbing, and then switched over to 6-stitch cables interspersed with 2p-2k-2p ribs. I did the cable-cross over every 6th row, 3 times, which gave me about 4" more. Then on the row before the next cross-over, I decreased by one stitch in each 3-stitch cable-band, so that when the cross-over came around the next row, I had only 4 stitches to cross-over. This proved to be a really smooth way to do the cable-decrease, you have to really look to see where the transition happens. Good guess on my part! Anyway, once I was down to 4-stitch cables, I did the cross-overs every 5th row, did that 3 more times, adding another 2.5", then dropped another stitch from each band for a 2-stitch wide cable, then a few rows later decreased those 2 stitches into one. Meanwhile, shortly after I'd decreased to a 4-stitch cable, I'd also decreased the k2 ribs to k1, and then a little bit higher, I dropped the p2 ribs to p1 ribs. At the very end I started k2-tog on every stitch, then passed the tail through the remaining loops and pulled.

May look a little complicated written out, but it was really amazingly easy. And pretty fast. I worked on it over the course of 4 days, in bits and pieces, so I don't know the total time, but it didn't feel like a terribly lengthy process. I used my home-made dpns for the whole thing, since I don't have 16" circs (and am not likely to get any when it's so easy to just use the dpns all the way). I don't really like the way hats look on me in general, but this one is comfy and warm enough that I will probably wear it quite a bit this winter. It looks on target to be my favorite hat among the ones I've made so far (all crochet).